Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Random update

One more... although since the posts load newest first, this does look like the first.  But it's not.

Anyway...  Here are some pictures Nathan has taken of the kids with a camera he borrowed from work, the Bandit Action Cam.  Oh yeah.


Charlie has been riding for a few months now, but here is proof.  we can't find a bike small enough for Elisabeth, so she is still on the toddler trike we got from our Winthrop neighbor when Charlie was a baby.







A rare moment where the boys aren't trying to kill each other, though they do have big sticks.  It's a game they invented. Joseph calls it Muggle Quiddich, but I don't see much correlation.

Is it just me, or does she look like she's falling off? And in other news...

The kids start school in two weeks.  Lil'Nathan starts high school, Mary goes into 7th, and Joseph is skipping 3rd and going right to 4th.  Charlie may be starting kindergarten if I can work our a 1/2 day option with his teacher--we already have principal approval.  I have been scouring LISTEN for binders and paper and all the other "B2S" necessities.  And also WalMart, when LISTEN fails me.

Mind you, not that LISTEN often fails me.  Quite the contrary.  It's often too generous!

We have been blueberry picking twice this year and are awaiting this weekend when we go get peaches from our VT farmer friends. :)  Blueberry-peach cobbler anyone? With fresh cream?  YUM!

And we have made our monthly (and sometimes more) trips to IceCream-4-U.  Lovely place.  Lovely.  This year everyone has been more adventurous with flavor choices.  Charlie's new favorite is S'mores and I've rediscovered Pistachio--which is the flavor that hooked me on ice cream as a kid.  (My dad brought home a 3 gallon tub of it from an ice cream truck that had broken down.  So he said, anyway.  I used to go down to the freezer with a bowl and help myself after school, for months.  Well, once I'd gotten over my prejudice of its being green and therefore gross. So glad I came to my senses.)

Where was I?  Oh, summer, right.  So Charlie took swim lessons the last three weeks of July.  Mary and Joseph have them these first three weeks of August.  My car now drives itself to swim lessons--even when it should be going to piano, which is why we've been late to piano two weeks in a row now!  Mary also started piano this summer.  We'll see if she feels she has the time to devote to once school starts, b/c she is very serious about her practicing.

We've been camping a few times, too.  Once in early July for birthday celebrations.  We camped near Franconia and while there visited Keepsake Quilting (not a wise financial decision) and Franconia Notch which was sooo beautiful!  The kids liked the campsite, but I'm not sure we'll go back to that one.  1am karaoke parties, despite a 10pm curfew are not much to my taste.   We (Nathan and I) prefer our local, quiet Storr's Pond, where we went a few weeks ago.  The older boys and Dad went on a 20 mi hike with the Scouts this past week.  (Joseph got to go b/c Dad was a leader on this one.  The other leader let the boys--ahem, older brother Nathan--that all families were welcome and there was to be no harassing of the much younger Joseph.)  They had a good time, and despite losing Joseph on the hike out (rangers were dispatched, but Dad found him first), it was a good experience for all.  And no ticks.  :)  We have a ward campout coming up at the end of the month, at Camp Joseph.  More s'mores!  And we have one more coming up in September, at the Highland Games.

At the end of July I had all my hair cut off.  Mary lost hers last week.  ("I love it!  I love it!"  Why didn't I do this sooner?")  Now I'm eyeing the mass of tangles that is usually Elisabeth.  But I can't bring myself to really do it.  She is so cute--this tiny little person with the long, long hair.  Stay tuned.  Half of me hopes that in all the scissor cutting she and Charlie do--and they have free access to scissors and cut our pictures daily--part of me hopes she'll try herself and then the decision will be out of my hands.  I'll probably regret writing that.



No comments: