Thursday, April 23, 2009

Yesterday, as I was washing a load of thrown-up-on sheets and pj's, Mary asked the all important question: "Why does Joseph throw up every time we move?" Wish I knew. Good thing we are staying put for a while. He was up and running again yesterday and shows no sign of a lingering anything--Thank goodness!

We hooked up our washer on Monday morning before Nathan went to work. I started it without clothes and it just kept filling. It wouldn't advance. Okay. We actually had the same problem with a different washer after it, too, sat unused for over a year. So I called a repair man. He was there that afternoon and by evening I'd done the first load of laundry in 11 months without needing a single quarter. What a glorious feeling. :) We have since done many more.

We made a double batch of bread on Tues. Ahhh, it smelled so good. We even made two small cinnamon loaves to give as a thank you to our landlord for all the fixing he's done for us. But, when I cut into our loaf it tasted funny. Oh drat! I forgot to put the salt in. Phooey. We ate it all--it's not too bad toasted, but not gift-worthy. We'll try again.

And as an aside, we have tile counter tops. Seriously? Why would anyone do that? I kneaded the bread in a bowl in the sink (so I could reach it) and it nearly killed my wrist. I ordered a silicone kneading mat from King Arthur Flour (thank you Aunt Audree for my birthday present!) and now life should be easier. Tile counter tops indeed!

Getting Lil'Nathan to do his schoolwork has been a struggle for a while now. He reads a ton, and will usually do his spelling, but bucks hard at his math--though he knows it, he just doesn't see why he has to do it. I'm tired of fighting him. He wants to go back to public school and have friends. I told him now that we are settled we can join a homeschool group. He's not interested. We've struck a tentative deal: He can enroll in school here as soon as he finishes the curriculum we've set for homeschool. He has so little left that he can probably be in school by the middle of next week.

But I'm still not sure.

I know the MA homeschool laws are among the toughest in the country and I also know that I'm not the world's greatest homeschooler by a long shot--I'm too easily distracted and not highly motivated in lesson planning and executing. Unschooling suits my teaching style (if you can even call it a "style") best, but even that conflicts with what I think we should be doing. As a result, I have a lot of frustration that has nothing to do with him. (Nothing even to do with Joseph, who refuses to allow any school day to flow smoothly.)

But I'm still not sure I want him back in public school. (Without really even knowing why. I guess I should figure that out.)

So, I don't know what to do.

Except laundry. I can always do that... and I'm getting pretty good at it!

1 comment:

Jennifer Blake said...

I think I know what you are dealing with in regards to homeschooling. Emma wants to go back to school very badly, but we signed up to try this program for a semester, so we are committed at least for the rest of the school year. She really misses learning with her peers.
I have had a hard time to get Emma to do her work the last few weeks, but she is on a rigourous schedule that the virtual school has set up, so it is a little easier to tell her she has to do it.
We are going to send her to public school next year, but we are probably going to move so we can find better schools. Hang in there. It is so hard to know what is best to do for our kids.