Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Yesterday we did haircuts. Nathan usually does the boys' hair, but this time I did it. Lil'Nathan was a bit disgruntled b/c he thinks Daddy cuts designs into his hair and I told him I wouldn't. Anyway, the boys look great. I did good.

Then Mary wanted one.

Nathan cut my hair on Christmas Eve and it is still sitting on the counter (yes, we packed it and moved it). I have every intention of sending it to Locks of Love, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Mary has been hemming and hawing for weeks now about whether or not she wanted a short summer haircut. She did want bangs and she did want to donate some hair. Yesterday she decided to do it (telling me so before I started the boys' hair). She definitely wanted one. She knew her hair would not magically reappear after the summer. She knew she would not be able to have pony-tails or braids anymore. She wanted one.

So I cut it.

I did a good job. It's clean, it's neat, and it's even.

It's also very short.

Nathan froze in the doorway when he got home from work. (Okay, so it also might have something to do with the fact that we were in the middle of transferring our food storage into the buckets and the kitchen was a disaster, but I don't think he even saw that at first.) No "hello." No "how was your day?" Just, "oh wow. You cut her hair?"

Last night at dinner she burst into tears and wouldn't say why. I know it was her hair. Before bed she was whimpering that it was too fluffy, and her bangs were in her eyes.

Sigh.

But on the bright side, the kids and I took the subway into Boston yesterday to go to the playground at the Boston Common. We only got a little bit lost, found our group, made some new friends, and made it home in one piece--without getting lost that time. :)

Today: library, laundry, bread, diapers, and curtains.

No comments: