Sunday, August 8, 2010

I wanted to post some pictures of the Grandma I remember. (I snagged the one in my memorial letter from my cousin's Facebook posting.)

At her memorial service, my dad saw this one and told us, "That was our big pool.  We had to take turns."  You may notice a bit more hair on G'pa here as compared to previously posted pictures.  (Okay, so technically this is another old one, but for some reason I really liked it, so I'm putting it in.)



But here are pictures as I remember her...

She was often silly, but never when you'd expect it.  In this instance, she was having a bad hair day and didn't want her picture taken.  She compromised by putting the bag over her hair, preferring that to anyone seeing her hair!



She claimed that in all her years of marriage (and she died just 3 weeks shy of their 60th anniversary) she never had a vacation that didn't involve a train.



They took us everywhere in their motor home, so I honestly can't tell  you where we all were for this shot, though I know it was "Great Trek of '93" and it was somewhere between UT and well, UT again, since that's where we picked up my mom, drove to NV and CA and then looped back again to drop her off.




I wasn't on this trip, but I like the picture.



 
She was pretty good humored about her "house boat" when the lake behind their house flooded.  I think this is the flood that finally killed the rubber tree in her front yard.  My mom gave it to her for her birthday one year, a last minute $2 grab.  She took it to FL where more than a dozen people now have their own from cuttings and where one year it was so overgrown in their absence that they had to hack their way through it to get in the front door! 




 She was sick for about 3 years, and in and out of hospitals for 2 1/2 of those years.  She lost a lot of weight and sounded so frail.  The last time I talked to her was on Father's Day and she was getting ready for bed, so our conversation was brief.  She always said she wanted to live to see all her great-grandchildren, but she never met Charlie.  This is how I will always remember her.


No comments: